The benefits of cycling
If you’re keen to be more active in 2020, why not give cycling a try? Enjoyed by millions of people around the globe, this fun outdoor exercise has plenty of health benefits. Here are four reasons to start pedalling.
1. It’s low impact
If you’re not keen on engaging in a high impact activity like running, then cycling could be just the ticket. It’s a non-weight-bearing exercise, which means it’s kinder on your joints.
2. It’s also a good cardio workout
Cycling may be low impact, but it’s still sure to get your heart pumping. And while it’s not a bad idea to start off slow, you can ramp up the intensity of your workouts as you get fitter and more confident.
3. And it might even help you sleep better
Cycling, like other forms of exercise, can help you get better sleep. The National Sleep Foundation explains: “Regular exercise, particularly in the morning or afternoon, can impact your sleep quality by raising your body temperature a few degrees. Later in the day, when your internal thermostat drops back to its normal range, this can trigger feelings of drowsiness and help you drop off to sleep.”
4. Plus, it’s a great stress reliever
And there’s research to prove it. According to Bicyling.com, a recent study published in Lancet found that “Riding a bike, inside or out, came a close second to playing team sports as the activity most beneficial for emotional wellness.”
If you prefer trails to tarmac, there are some great options in and around Jozi to enjoy.
- The PwC Bike Park in Bryanston offers mountain bikers 13km of trails to explore. According to their website, it’s the “perfect place to learn, practice and play in a safe and secure environment.” For more info: bikepark.co.za.
- Huddle Park Golf & Recreation in Linksfield has trails suitable for novice to intermediate riders, with distances ranging from 4km to 15km. For more info: huddlepark.com.
- Central Park Trails in the Modderfontein Reserve is perfect for a weekend excursion and offers trails ranging from 10km to 40km. For more info: centralparktrails.co.za.